Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Green Machine Soup

This recipe comes from Bon Appetit magazine and was originally called Herb, Chard and Feta Soup. I used basically the same ingredients but switched up a couple of things. I call it the Green Machine Soup for starters. 
It's not a pretty green. Not the bright green of the spinach or cilantro but the color of an actual machine. It also is a machine. I remember what Mrs. Maudal used to say, "Eat your dark-green leafys". And so we did. Sunday night.



The originally recipe called for Swiss chard or spinach. We used red Swiss chard AND spinach. We also let the onions cook longer and added a tiny handful of arborio rice (I heard this idea on the Splendid Table on MPR.) Next time though I'm going to cook the onions even longer until they are at that perfect, melt-in-your-mouth-carmelized-goodness state And I will also add more aborio rice to give it a nice creaminess without the cream. I know, amazing. ME!? Not using cream! It's true people, I did it. Arborio rice is the key.

You can find the recipe here.

Bon Appétit

No comments:

Post a Comment